Burke wants to build a community that supports everyone who faces mental illness. One where we all know what to look for and where to turn. One where everyone feels safe when they seek help. And we need your help.
On this REAL campaign page, you’ll find information, media reports, videos and other resources that will help educate you and the people around you about what to look for and where to find help for the people you care about.
If you are struggling with mental illness or know someone who is, help is a phone call away. Burke’s Mental Health Crisis Hotline is answered 24 hours a day at 1-800-392-8343.
REAL Information about Mental Illness
Burke has developed a series of infosheets about a number of important mental health issues. Click on each one below to read more or download a printable PDF file.
- Real Campaign Message to Community Leaders
- Mental Health Terms and Definitions
- Mental Illness by the Numbers
- Learning About Depression
- Crisis and Local Resources for Mental Illnesses
- Suicide Prevention
- Anxiety Disorders
- Eating Disorders
Browse the list below to read the remarkable stories about East Texans who are bravely and actively managing their mental illnesses — and the people in our community that help them.
- Woodville Woman Survives Depression and Drug Abuse – KTRE TV
- Soldier Finds Solace Within MVPN in Lufkin – KTRE TV
- Right Diagnosis Brings A New Start For Nacogdoches Woman – Burke News
- Veteran Finds “Friendly Foxhole” in Peer Network – Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel
- Parents’ Journey Through Mental Illness – Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel
- East Texas Man Plants New Life Following Alcoholism, Leukemia Diagnosis – KTRE TV
- Woman Survives Bipolar, Suicidal Thoughts With Burke’s Help – KTRE TV
- Lufkin Woman Finds Hope From Depression In Music – KTRE TV
- Burke Employee Shares Her Story Of Overcoming Depression And Helping Others Do The Same – KTRE TV
- Local Officials Working To Improve Handling Of Mental Health Crisis Situations – Lufkin Daily News
- Saved from Suicide: Local Teen Suffering from Depression Thankful Someone Reached Out to Help – Lufkin Daily News
- Peer Specialists Provide Insights They Have Acquired – Lufkin Daily News
- Getting REAL About Mental Health – Lufkin Daily News
One of the best online resources for mental health stories is the Mental Health Channel. See a sample below and visit them online for all of their stories.
Our campaign will include a multi-media ad push throughout the region.
REAL Outreach & Training
Burke conducts Mental Health First Aid training (a nationally-recognized curriculum) and other outreach sessions at employers, organizations and schools throughout East Texas. If you’d like more information about our training sessions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.